Friday, October 7, 2011

Not Merely the Sense of Hearing

"Listen to the sound from deep within
It's only beginning to find release"



This is an excerpt from the song Listen by Beyonce. The things we want to say are inside of us and those who want to hear it release itself from the depths of my soul need to listen- closely, carefully.


It is easier said than done though because there are a lot of things that hinder one's self from listening. For me it is boredom. When I'm bored I find it hard to listen to the people trying to converse with me. In class when the topic isn't interesting for me I find everything to be dull that I don't try listening at all. I just  put out my phone and start texting friends or think of the things I plan on doing after. Another thing that stops me from listening effectively is when I don't like the subject in class or simply the matter being discussed. I feel like my ears just close and my brain no longer wants to process whatever the speaker is saying.


To solve these listening dilemmas of mine I take down notes. This method forces me to make my ears and mind work and in effect I listen. 


To listen is to make an effort to understand what the speaker is trying to tell you. It isn't merely using your sense of hearing, instead, it is a joint effort by your ears and your brain to be able to decode the message being given to you by whoever you are conversing with.



3 comments:

  1. hi ed! bad ka umuwi ka ng maaga :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can practice the notetaking method we discussed in class. :)

    ReplyDelete